Canterbury League Premiership: Panthers and Keas lead the pack
The Hornby Panthers and Linwood Keas took a lead in the Bartercard NZ CRL Men’s Championship with big 9th round wins this weekend, while victories for the Eastern Eagles and Celebration Lions created a fascinating stalemate in the midst of table with five weeks of regular season. to play.
The Panthers, undefeated, remain at the top of the standings with 17 points, two ahead of the Keas.
The Halswell Hornets are in third place with 10 points, but the Lions, Eagles and Northern Bulldogs are all just one win behind in tied fourth.
The Eagles, who lost their first four games of 2021, earned their third straight victory, fending off the Bulldogs 26-22 at Wainoni Park.
Lock Uale Peneli scored for a brace for the hosts, who led 20-16 at halftime.
The Lions picked up an equally narrow victory to end a four-game losing streak, upsetting the Hornets in form 28-22 at Halswell Domain.
Opposing crosses Dylan Geddis (Lions) and Jope Finau (Hornets) both scored two tries, while Zion Kamana scored a brace for Celebration.
The result was never in doubt at Leslie Park as the Hornby Panthers ran 15 tries to decimate the Papanui Tigers 78-16.
Veteran rower James Baxendale finished with a hat-trick, while rookie center Jayton Lawrie, brilliant young fullback Sincere Harraway, winger Eti Collins and trade Daniel Kilbride all scored twice.
The Panthers were leading 32-12 at halftime.
The Linwood Keas fought against the Riccarton Knights, going just 10-6 at the break at Ngā Puna Wai.
But the reigning five-time champions stepped up a gear in the second stanza, scoring six tries to one and winning 40-12.
Winger Joseph Hapi was the main beneficiary of Keas’ attacking push in the second half, ending the game with five tries.
The Knights are seventh in the standings, but just two points off fourth place.
RESULTS OF THE 9TH ROUND OF THE MEN’S FIRST ROUND OF THE CRL BARTERCARD NZ CRL
- Hornby Panthers 78 (James Baxendale 3, Sincere Harraway 2, Eti Collins 2, Jayton Lawrie 2, Daniel Kilbride 2, Will Tafua, Taula Teaupa, Taualai Taualai, Karika Tuike tries; Caleb Murphy 8, goals from Baxendale) defeated Papanui Tigers 16 (Jared Neho, Anaru Donnelly, Tristan Van Onsen tries; Antonio Lemalu 2 goals) at Leslie Park.
- Linwood Keas 40 (Joseph Hapi 5, Zion Vaumitoiuai, George Faaiva, Paul Sauni tries; Leon Jarden 4 goals) defeated Riccarton Knights 12 (Justin Lynch, Reuben Te Amo tries; Matriki Halbert-Pere 2 goals) Ngā Puna Wai.
- Eastern Eagles 26 (Uale Peneli 2, Rezyn Timo-Latu, Tyrone Stowers, Alastair Roberts tries; Daniel Hartley 3 goals) defeated the Northern Bulldogs 22 (Josh Rawiri 2, Ben Wickstead, Eachart Ricet tries; Josh Endacott 3 goals) at Wainoni Park.
- Celebration Lions 28 (Dylan Geddis 2, Zion Kamana 2, Tipazo Aukustitino, Jordan Kamana tries; Jordan Wawatai 2 goals) defeated Halswell Hornets (Jope Finau 2, Marley Mackey-Coffin, Josh Everett tries; Jamie Nuttridge 3 goals) at the field of Halswell.
ISC SPORT CRL CANTERBURY CUP FIRST RESERVE ROUND 9 RESULTS
- Maris-Papanui 62 defeated Eastern Eagles 6.
- Ashburton Barbarians 26 drew with Burnham Knights 26.
- The Hornby Panthers 26 beat the Northern Bulldogs 20.
- Shirley Hawks 52 defeated Linwood Keas 16.
- Woolston Rams 22 defeated Halswell Hornets 14.
– By Will Evans, Canterbury Rugby League